HBA/Hirsch Bedner Associates, a leader in hospitality interior design worldwide, remains keenly attuned to the pulse of changing industry trends governed by today’s more sophisticated world traveler. Our firm combines a detailed knowledge of design with a depth of experience that enables us to identify interior design trends at the source, make definitive predictions about new directions and innovations in the interior design industry, and influence design standards globally.
With over 1,400 designers around the globe in 23 offices and a recent expansion in Asia, HBA is a truly global company, with more than 75% of its employees now outside the United States.
Employment Type: Employee (non-management & non-supervisor)
Qualification: Bachelor (S1) Work Experience 2 years
Types of Job: Design
Job Specialization: Architect/Interior Design
Under the direction of the Team Leader and side by side with the Associate Director, the Designer will be responsible for the initial design conception, technical development, and execution of assigned project phases and assembly and maintenance of related documents. The Designer should perform at an advanced level due to their extensive training and experience.
The Designer reports to the Associate Director; Junior Design positions may take direction from the Senior Designer/Team Leader on design project-related matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assume a role in designing presentations in communicating directly with clients and ensure that format is compatible with office and client standards/requirements.
- Conceptualize design direction for the overall project and communicate to the project team.
- Coordinate design direction and, in conjunction with the project manager, the management of outside consultants.
- Communicate project status to Team Leader and Associate Director regularly and develop and maintain communication with all project team members.
- Attend site meetings and assist in the process of reviewing properties along with the project manager.
- Review and understand with professional proficiency detailed construction documents, including floor plans, elevations, and sections, electrical details, schedules (finish, plumbing, door, fixture), furniture floor plans, FF&E specifications, materials, and finishes to determine compliance in areas of quality, code and design.
- Focus on service delivery while monitoring the status of assigned project tasks against the project schedule and participating in project quality reviews.
The Following pertains to an Interior Designer:
- Generate schematic design development based on established project criteria, program, and budget.
The Following pertains to an FF&E Designer:
- Direct and review furniture installation plans and shop drawings for content and accuracy and ensure coordination with pertinent consultant drawings.
- Generate FF&E design based on established project criteria, program, and budget.
- Develop FF&E and architectural finish specifications for documentation, review and approve FF&E purchase orders, coordinate final placement of FF&E installation with all parties involved, and maintain FF&E budget for all phases of the project interiors.
- Coordinate all architectural finishes with Project Architect if applicable and review plans and details to ensure proper coordination of finishes and item numbers and the project manager.
- Know contractual responsibilities related to FF&E in all project phases from the project manager.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of FF&E specification minimum standards, informational requirements for specification, and computer specification program requirements.
- Serve as the principal contact for purchasing agents and FF&E vendors while working with them to select design elements that are to be specified and establish all required information for documentation.
- Participate in soliciting proposals for services to be provided by outside consultants as it relates to FF&E.
- Review samples, strike-offs, and others for compliance with specifications and overall design intent.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES:
- Participate in maintaining relationships with existing clients and nurturing relationships with potential new clients.
- Participate in the establishment and maintenance of design standards for the firm.
- Keep abreast of new hospitality industry trends that may influence design schemes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: (*mainly for senior designers)
- *Required experience in hospitality design / has worked with hotel operator
- Design Talent
- *Provide senior-level technical aptitude when formulating designs parameters and executing design work.
- Ability to establish logical action plans to complete work and provide technically sound solutions within deadline and budget constraints.
- *Strong comprehension of hospitality design and products.
- Solid background in interior architecture and FF&E.
- Experienced presentation skills.
- *Must have strong organizational skills and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines consistently.
- Ability to perform efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Exceptional customer focus with an emphasis on relationship building.
- Strong ability to resolve issues utilizing sound judgment and reasoning skills.
- Professional, ethical, and committed to excellence in communications.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with other co-workers, departments, or business units.
- Assertive and motivated to generate results.
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative in identifying and resolving problems utilizing sound judgment and reasoning skills.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Ability to employ creative and innovative thought processes.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- *Ability to exercise and employ effective leadership skills and influence others across functions.
- *Ability to effectively train and motivate other staff members.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.